October 12, 2018
CSA Week 25
Hello and Happy Friday! It finally feels like fall and we are so thankful! Fall is the season of greens and root veggies here and we have some beautiful ones this week including daikon radishes, curly kale, and dinosaur kale. Daikon radishes and sunflower sprouts make a deliciously fresh salad. Kale is wonderful for salads as well but also are a perfect hardy green for soups.
Crunchy Daikon and Sprout Salad
- cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded daikon radish
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons sesame vinaigrette
In a large salad bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly. Drizzle the Sesame Vinaigrette over and toss to coat the vegetables thoroughly.
Lentil Soup with kale, turnips, and sweet potato
- 1 cup organic green lentils
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup diced onions (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 peeled sweet potato, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or 1/4 tsp crushed red chiles)
- 2 cups sliced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups diced turnips (1/2 pound)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 or 1 1/2 cups finely sliced kale leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or finely chopped parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lentils, tomatoes, water, onions, sweet potato, peppers, carrots, and turnips in a medium-large saucepan
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are soft. Stir occasionally, breaking up the tomatoes.
- Add garlic and kale leaves and continue to simmer until kale is soft. Serve topped with finely grated cheese or chopped parsley, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.