November 30, 2018
Winter CSA Week 1
It is the first week of our first ever winter CSA! We are thrilled to be providing fresh organic veggies all through December. The share and weather tomorrow is perfect for a warm soup!
Kale Salad with quick pickle radishes
- 3 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 3⁄4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1⁄4 cup half and half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown.
- Add sweet potatoes, 3 1/2 cups water, broth, and carrot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper.
- Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.