December 14, 2018
Winter CSA Week 3
Hello and Happy Friday.This weeks recipe is a nice warm and hearty soup that will be great for this rainy and cold weather!
Lentil Soup with Carrots and Turnips
- 1 cup organic green lentils
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup diced onions (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 peeled sweet potato, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or 1/4 tsp crushed red chiles)
- 2 cups sliced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups diced turnips
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 or 1 1/2 c finely sliced kale leaves
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese or finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine lentils, tomatoes, water, onions, sweet potato, peppers, carrots, and turnips in a medium-large saucepan
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are soft. Stir occasionally, breaking up the tomatoes.
- Add garlic and kale leaves and continue to simmer until kale is soft. Serve topped with finely grated cheese or chopped parsley, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.