Apprenticeship Program- We Grow Farmers!
Apprenticeship Program- We Grow Farmers!
Current positions available:
We are now accepting Apprentice applications for the 2017 Spring Season!
How To Apply
First, read the description and fill out the application questions. Email these along with a resume and 3 professional references to email@example.com. If we feel you would be a good fit for our operation, we will contact you via email to set up a phone call and then an on-farm, work day interview.
Serenbe Farms is an intensive 8-acre certified organic diversified farm located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA, just 30 miles south of Atlanta, GA. We grow over 50 different vegetables, fruits, flowers, and herbs in over 300 different varieties. We market our goods through our 90+ member Community Supported Agriculture program (CSA), farmers markets and to many talented chefs in Serenbe and Atlanta.
Serenbe Farms is a part of the Serenbe community, a unique sustainable village consisting of 75% preserved green space, Earth Craft homes, three restaurants, shops, artists, a bakeshop, and an equestrian center. Serenbe lies in the heart of 40,000 protected acres of the city of Chattahoochee Hill Country. More on the community of serenbe can be found on Serenbe’s website.
This is the farms' 11th growing season with apprentices, and the apprenticeship program is at the core of Serenbe Farms’ history and philosophy. This apprenticeship opportunity will allow you to learn how to grow a diversity high quality vegetables on small acreage throughout the seasons. Farm apprentices are responsible for harvesting, green house seeding, irrigation, weeding, farm maintenance, csa and restaurant delivery, farm tours, farmer’s market sales, and taking care of our 50 laying hens. Besides tractor time, apprentices are required to be able to do any other farm related task, which means you will learn everything from seed to sale, including special farm projects throughout the season. We also have classes on other farm curriculum topics such as cover cropping and fertility.
Apprentices will receive a stipend of $800/month. Housing with internet and utilities are included, as well as access to farm produce and eggs. Intern housing is a shared 2-3 bedroom house with kitchen, lounge, dining area, and a large yard. The house is approximately 1/4 of a mile from the farm. Apprentices have access to all of the Serenbe Communities amenities, restaurants and hiking trails.
While organic farming experience is preferred, it is not necessary as long as good work ethic and interest is exemplified. Our ideal candidate has:
• A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood
• Previous physical labor experience
• A physical and mental ability to carry out all farm related tasks
• A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, and a sense of urgency
• Open and positive communication skills
• Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
• Customer service experience
Apprentice Application Questions
If you think that Serenbe Farms may be a good fit for you, then we encourage you to apply!
Please supply us with the following information. After I review, I will contact you and possibly set up a visit or interview. An on farm work day/interview is required.
1. Please tell us about yourself (hobbies, interests, long term goals, etc.).
2. Why do you want to work on a farm? How does farming fit into your future plans?
3. Do you have any gardening or farming experience?
4. What do you hope to learn during the apprenticeship?
5. Do you have any sales experience?
6. Do you have any relevant medical conditions or physical limitations that would affect your ability to do farm work (kneeling, squatting for hours, heavy lifting, long days, etc.)?
7. What sort of physical shape are you in? Can you carry and lift 50 lbs?
8. Do you have any other related work experiences or skills? (examples: education, mechanics, sales, carpentry, cooking, public speaking)
9. Do you have transportation?
10. When would you be available? Any flexibility?
Along with application questions, please email a professional resume and 3 professional references to Farm Manager Matthew Clayton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for your interest in this opportunity at Serenbe Farms.